As a reporter at the Duluth News Tribune, my core job responsibility is daily reporting on stories tied, broadly, to the arts and entertainment landscape in on our ten-county Northland coverage area. That includes weekly roundups of “Best Bets” as well as weekly features, frequent briefs, a weekly column, and other stories. Examples of my reporting work at the News Tribune include:
- From Odessa to Duluth: The journey of Bob Dylan’s grandparents (March 28, 2022). I traced the journey of Zigman and Anna Zimmerman, who fled pogroms in what is today Ukraine.
- “We’re in a race”: Inside the drive to build a soundstage in Duluth (April 27, 2022). The story of Duluth’s rapidly expanding film production industry, and the full-fledged soundstage that’s becoming a very real possibility — if not, even, a probability.
- Thanks to Ken Buehler, the whole world loves Lake Superior Railroad Museum (June 8, 2022). When the Covid-19 pandemic hit, Lake Superior Railroad Museum executive director Ken Buehler pivoted to video and introduced an international audience to the remarkable history stored in Duluth’s Depot.
- Zach Ross, drummer in Superior band Crescent Moon, dead at 28 (Aug. 4, 2022). Obituaries are among the hardest, but most meaningful, articles to write.
- Artist Emily Koch wants the Twin Ports to come out and play (Oct. 18, 2022). The streamers in the photo above were part of an installation it the exhibit previewed here.
- Remembering Rudy Perpich, the governor who turned “Outstate” into “Greater Minnesota” (Nov. 2, 2022). For this historical dive, I was particularly pleased to be able to plumb the News Tribune archives for a series of remarkable images that had only previously been published on black-and-white newsprint.
Prior to my Duluth move, I reported extensively on music for The Current (Minnesota Public Radio). Examples of my reporting for The Current include:
- Infographic: Music rights 101 (May 19, 2014). Explaining the inexplicable.
- Minnesota musicians having “panic and anxiety” over planned Affordable Care Act repeal (Jan. 19, 2017). This article won a Page One award from the Minnesota Pro chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
- Music legend Prince dies at age 57 (April 21, 2016). This obituary may be the most widely read piece I’ll ever write.
- Why bassist Liz Draper is a dazzling collaborator — and now, solo artist (Oct. 27, 2021). I appreciated the opportunity to spotlight some of the artists who are crucial, but little-known, members of the music community.
At The Current I also worked for several years on a project called Music News. It took various incarnations, ranging from a web post complementing a host’s on-air break to a daily video post and podcast; in the latter form, I was the feature’s principal writer and co-hosted with my colleague Jade.
I also reported for City Pages; unfortunately, that alt-weekly was pulled off the internet when it ceased publishing in 2020, and its archives are not readily available. From 2007 to 2013, I reported for the Twin Cities Daily Planet, a nonprofit citizen journalism project where I also served as arts editor.